Thursday 22 November 2012

Parquet Floor DIY



This blog is to show the process that I went through to get the beautiful reclaimed beech parquet floors I currently have in my home.... It involved a lot of trial and error and I hope that by writing this blog others will be helped in choosing the methods needed to deal with their parquet and the inevitable bitumen (which gets everywhere)....
Having moved into a new apartment in Cambridge, England two years ago, I found myself a year later in 2010 still with concrete floors everywhere except the bathroom and the Kitchen.
After looking at every possible flooring imaginable one year ago I decided to buy reclaimed beech parquet flooring from Ebay and to then lay and sand and varnish it all by myself.
I am a single Mum of a toddler who was two then and is now almost four, not perhaps the ideal start for what turned out to be a rather ongoing job. But hey, if I can do it, you can as well!
I'm into reclaimed and recycled goods so this made sense.
I followed every piece of parquet being sold on the lead up to my bid in November 2010 and for a mere £90 I managed to buy 40 m 2 of 6cm x 20cm x 2cm solid reclaimed beech parquet blocks from a teacher who had saved it from the school he was working at. My kind friend helped me pick it up in his estate car....

9 comments:

  1. Actually, I am looking to buy parquet floor made up of solid Oak. After surfing several times I finally managed to found solid Oak parquetry floors
    It is beautiful and also in my budget. So could you please tell me where I can find more like that. I would be very thankful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to set my oak parquet floor that I just bought, but I don't have someone to help me, is it very hard to set up parquet myself? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Awesome nice and very informative blog
    thanks for sharing.keep it up

    Laminate Wood Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really very nice blog.
    Good job and great efforts.
    Keep it up.
    Carpets in Sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog!
    Information in the blog is quite impressive and brilliantly conveyed.
    Thank you so much for sharing this blog.
    Carpets in Sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really wonderful and nice blog.
    Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.
    Dubai Curtains and Blinds
    synthetic grass online dubai

    ReplyDelete
  7. This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    Wooden Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Blog, your content is really informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing. Painter in Abu Dhabi
    Painters in Dubai

    ReplyDelete