Wednesday 21 November 2012

Equipment needed to clean & lay down a parquet floor

A good chisel is a must!
Cleaning the reclaimed parquet blocks is a dirty job. Bitumen from the bottom of the blocks will get everywhere. Always work in clothes you can throw away when done. I had three DIY outfits...You will need work gloves, a chisel and a work bench and lots of paitence for preparing the blocks!!!

My blocks came in old photocopy paper boxes which worked out at about half a square metre per box. I cleaned the edges and not the bottom or tops. I cleaned 18 sqm for the lounge checking as I went that they weren't to bowed and would fit together smoothly.

Arthur's bedroom taking up the shirting boards
I took up all the skirting boards as you need to leave an expansion gap.
I couldn't find any suitable information for solid beech so I decided roughly 3 cm (1.5cm gap between the wood and the wall) all the way round the edge of the room would be sufficient. I thought this was the best method as the skirting board could be put back suspended above this gap. I decided to have a single edge around the room as I felt it complimented the herrimgbone beech parquet.

10 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to appreciate the effort that you have put in making such an informative blog.
    http://www.envyhardwoods.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
    Parquetry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Awesome blog!
    In fact your blog is a must visit!
    Thank you so much for sharing this blog.
    Best Parquet Flooring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you to say. I found that not much has been put up on the Internet about this and thought people would find it a worthwhile read. Just wish I had made a few videos now!

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Awesome nice and very informative blog
    thanks for sharing.keep it up

    Laminate Wood Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really very nice blog.
    Good job and great efforts.
    Keep it up.
    Carpet Sellers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really wonderful and nice blog.
    Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.
    Dubai Curtains and Blinds
    synthetic grass maintenance dubai

    ReplyDelete